domenica 27 settembre 2015

London? Very British!


How would I describe my first impression of London? Simply, very British! I agree, it is more than obvious, but it describes my first impression at its best. Once I've started to stroll around the city it was like I have entered into the scene of one of the TV novels I've grew up with. The colours and the atmosphere are exactly the same. London is one of the cities which has its own overall style. The main colour is the light brown one. The main, and most important monuments, I can list the Big Ben, the Parliament, the Buckingham Palace, the Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London, the Tower bridge, etc, are all characterised by this colour. Also the typical houses are characterised by the brick colour. What I've liked a lot was the habit to polish them with lot of flowers. It gives you an idea of cleanness and a wish to have colours around to lighten the severe gothic atmosphere. 



The tour inside the Tower of London made me enter into the dark and gothic atmosphere where you can still hear the echoes, and live the vicissitudes of the Kings, Queens and the other nobles of the Royal court. The Yeoman who still lives inside the tower, gives a picturesque description about it. I've admired the gorgeous collection of the Crown Jewels. It is not only a museum collecting pieces without life, some of the jewels are still in use also today. The value is inestimable!



I was lucky enough to have a chance to visit the Buckingham Palace. I just love these Royal Palaces! To have the possibility to enter and walk around the halls where history was made is very exiting. You see and you can breath personally the atmosphere, admire priceless art masterpieces, it is not a fiction, it is real. This is the Palace where the Queen actually lives and works. These are the halls that you can see in the TV, looking so far and un-realistic. Being able to live it for real and from inside is always more than fascinating for me!



I've got lost inside the British Museum admiring the endless collection of art masterpieces. What I've like the most? The giant sculptures of the Babylon Assyrian civilisation. Usually their history is overshadowed by the more famous Greek and Roman populations but slowly as I've started to discover it, it became more and more fascinating. 



The St. Paul’s Cathedral is a curious example of an unconventional architectonical style where the severe Protestant style is mixed with the influence of the rich, gilded baroque influence. It the first church where I have seen a permanent modern art installation being hosted. It is the mirror of London, where tradition and modernity is mixed continuously.



It was so relaxing the walk around the Hyde park, a world aside, where you can see people having a break from the frenetic London life at any time of the day. Here you can easily meet squirrels hopping around you. Not an everyday experience for me.



And the modern today's London? A contemporary metropolis conscious of the continuous changes is act, able to make live together scenic modern skyscrapers, very efficient and pragmatic everyday life organisation for the multitude of its inhabitants with the glorious heritage of its history .


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento